With the upcoming release of Molehill in a future version of Flash I decided to have a play around and see just what was involved in setting up a project in order to test out the new APIs. I was primarily interested in speed increased for 2D performance as this is the sort of work I do. Interestingly enough it seemed that using the 3D functionality for 2D sprites (using textures on simple square planes to work as sprites) didn’t offer any speed increase over normal blitting – having said that, normal blitting in the incubator build was lightning fast – much faster than the current player. Exciting times are ahead either way!

Here’s a list of the pages I used as reference while getting a basic understanding of the concepts involved for using Molehill:

Also – Don’t forget to set the wmode in the HTML file to direct!